Hearing loss in dentistry

In a working environment that puts high importance on personal protection equipment, we often forget about the protection that our ears need. High speed suction and handpieces can produce sounds over 85dB and up to 100dB which is within the range to produce damage to the delicate auditory sensory organs. This damage is preventable but irreversible. Therefore it is prudent that we tackle this problem early on in one's career very similar to poor posture.

I use earplugs from the brand Earasers but you can see an audiologist to make custom in ear plugs that will dampen but not completely remove the noise of the dental operatory. I find that with these ear plugs my ears don't ring at the end of the day as they would without them however without regular hearing tests I would not know if this is making a noticeable difference.

Signs of damaged hearing include tinnitus, sound distortion, difficulty interpreting complex sounds especially higher tones and the enunciation of S, Z and F.

Please consider using some form of hearing protection at your workplace.

Difficulties I've found with my product are that the staff have to speak up in areas with more background noise and although I can hear myself talk due to the vibration travelling in my skull and the closer proximity of my ears, the staff and patients often have difficulty hearing me talk. Therefore I have to take special care to speak louder that I think I need to when I am working.

Comments