Cervical burnout

Currently trying to find out more information about cervical burnout (CB) and its differentiation from root surface caries (RSC) as I have had trouble distinguishing the two in the past. From what I can gather,

-CB appears on the mesial and distal surfaces of teeth in the cervical region
- It is a diffuse (ill defined) radiolucent (blacker) area and is bounded by the CEJ and the alveolar ridge
-It may be due to overexposure of the film which can "burnout" the thinner sections of teeth. i.e there is lower absorption of the xrays by this anatomical area so if the exposure is high enough, the film in this area will totally "blacken".
-It is optically more prominent due to the contrast with the adjacent radioopaque bone and enamel.
-RSC has a similar radiolucent bowlshaped area on the radiograph. However, It will generally have a loss of tooth structure i.e in CB there is an intact tooth surface radiographically whereas this is not intact in RSC. Also, CB will sit exactly between the bone and CEJ in most cases.

In the end, it is always prudent to check for lesions clinically and only use radiographs as a guide for a physical oral examination.

...Will add to post if more information becomes available in the future.

Comments

  1. I have cervical burnout on my Lower Right 8. It is on the distal buccal side. The area looks black /grey and us hard when probing. Can this area be restored? I don't have pain and clean this area. I've been advised that I over brush this area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue,

      Thank you for your question. It isn't really something I can answer over the internet. This post is more about "cervical burnout" which is a phenomenon that appears on xrays but doesn't actually appear in the mouth. You may be referring to a different condition.

      I would suggest you go with your dental professional's advice.

      Delete
  2. I am looking for article regarding stress management in dentistry.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment and let me know what you think or if there are any topics you would like covered in the future