A note on caries detector dye

Caries detector dye stains less mineralised dentine and therefore can be useful in the detection of carious infected dentine. However they can also stain other types of demineralised dentine including affected dentine, DEJ and dentine near the pulp. I found it very useful as a new graduate in detecting areas where I had incomplete caries removal. I wouldn't put 100% confidence in it due to the risk of overstaining but it can be useful in ensuring that the margins are caries freed. It should be used in combination with other methods to detect caries e.g tactile sensation. Switching to a spoon excavator for stained caries near the pulp can ensure that you don't overprepare dentine in a critical area. I find caries detector dye especially useful in quickly progressing lightly coloured dentine as it closely resembles the colour of sound dentine. Often times when I thought I have cleared all caries in such cavities there is significant amounts of remaining caries often at the base of the box or at cusp tips. Keep applying caries detector dye after preparation till it is clean.


Comments